Thursday, March 23, 2006

Birth days...

Happy Birthday Melissa Boo! And happy one-week birthday to our own sweet Jamie!

When Jamie was born last Thursday I had a wonderful few moments of clarity about why we exist. Maybe because his birth so nearly coincided with Aunt Jan's death it was more real to me than it ever has been that we better have a good reason for bringing children into this world full of suffering.

And we do. I whispered to Jamie that evening when Shawn had gone home and it was just the two of us together in our room: "This is the world where we come to learn how to love Jesus."

It was such a good solid starting place. It's not about finding happiness and fulfillment. It's not even about "leaving this world a better place." It's not about me or us or him. It's about Jesus.

Bringing a new life into the world gives God something precious and valuable: another soul to bring Him glory, another life to be His, and even, breath-taking thought, a new and precious life for Him to love! He couldn't love Jamie if Jamie didn't exist!

This is the (only?) justification for bringing souls into this world (Okay, besides the obvious fact that it's simple obedience to a command). The world is full of grief and disappointment, but above and below and all around that is this truth: We are in this world for a reason, to learn how to love Him and bring glory to Him.

So in spite of the suffering in the world, it can be a happy day of birth. May my life, and Jamie's too, fulfill all God's purpose.

Happy birthday Jamie (and Melissa!).

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Okay Gretchen- just so you know, I am SO GLAD you have a blog! This was an excellent post indeed.
I see you often (living next door and all), but it is good to have a little window into your world.

Very encouraging.

Happy Sabbath!

March 24, 2006 6:53 PM  
Blogger drewey fern said...

Wow, Gretchen, that was so good. I believe it! I receive it!

March 24, 2006 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gretchen!

You deserve some kind of award for starting a blog with a newborn having just arrived:) It is fun to see what's happening in your life:) I really like your quote-"this is the world where we come to love Jesus".
Helps to be reminded of this when we are constantly bombarded with the world's reasons why we are here.

March 25, 2006 3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home