Quote of the Day
to give and not to count the cost;
to fight and not to heed the wounds;
to toil and not to seek for rest;
to labor and not to ask for any reward save that of knowing that we do thy will."
- St. Ignatius
If I could only remember that I am doing His will, then maybe it would be easier to serve and give and toil without getting tired or frustrated or worn out and all that. If the last part of that prayer got answered, then it seems like the first part would be easier to achieve. You know what I mean? It's all about vision I guess. Or at least vision sure helps make the spirit willing, even if the flesh is still weak.
So come on, don't be shy all you blog-readers of mine. I know who you are, and most of you know each other pretty well: tell me what you think. State the obvious--maybe it's not obvious to me! Be brave! Be bold! I want to chat!
(But, the Mama-and-Andrea side of me has to add, no pressure!)


10 Comments:
I agree. I get so bogged down in my responsibilities that it's hard to remember that I'm right where God wants me to be. I need to cling to the grace and strength that He gives along with the call that He gives to serve Him.
Thank you Penny! Yes, that's it: we just get bogged down and lose sight of bigger picture stuff...
It's so hard to remember those big important things like: I am right where God wants me to be, doing what He called me to do, and therefore there is nothing on earth that I could be doing that is of more value than what I am doing for Him right now...
Maybe I could just repeat that to myself every hour on the hour. It might help!
And thanks for the reminder that He will supply the grace and strength I need to do this job: I don't have to struggle through on my own, in a perpetual cycle of hopefullness followed by failure and frustration...
He will enable me to be a success! Not necessarily what I think is successful (getting everything crossed off my list, for instance), but HIS idea of successful: maintaining a sweet and peaceful spirit in the midst of each day's pressures and interruptions...
Thanks so much for your encouraging and thought-provoking additions!
For me it's more the knowing whether I'm doing God's will, like the prayer says, rather than remembering that I am. It's kind of hard to admit but it seems like a very hard concept for me to really know that what I'm doing is that big, if you know what I mean. This really doesn't make much sense but you've got me thinking anyway! Thanks for your email by the way...I don't think I'm really fascinating, just plain neurotic!
"For me it's more the knowing whether I'm doing God's will...rather than remembering that I am... it seems like a very hard concept for me to really know that what I'm doing is that big, if you know what I mean."
I definitely relate to not feeling like what I'm doing is that important. I don't know if I ever feel like what I'm doing is important, as far as when I'm home with the boys--with the possible exception of when I'm writing about it (it's so easy to be idealistic on paper!). But I don't ever remember it being real to me when I'm in the middle of real life, if you know what I mean.
But I guess at the same time, I am convinced that I am in the middle of God's will, and so for that reason I know that even if what I am doing now doesn't seem that important, there isn't anything else I could be doing that would be more important.
Hmm, I feel like what I just wrote misses part of what you were saying, but at least now you've got me thinking some more!
Anyone else? (This is great! Thank you so much, Liane and Penny!)
In a way this discussion reminds me of the song that says, "I need no other sunshine than the sunshine of Thy face," and that other one, "When God is Near." if God's presence was always with me, and if my vision was always clear, then I could charge on with all the energy and good works and giving, fighting, toiling, laboring, in the world. Duh! Obviously!
But the problem is that my vision is NOT always clear. I guess that's when we're really learning to walk by faith and not by sight. We "fake it 'till we make it" in a way - plowing on as if we are convinced of the vision, until that time when our vision is clear again... No easy task!
I know it's God's will for me to be a wife and mother, but it sure doesn't make dying to self any easier! Especially when it seems like my life consists of cleaning up messes:)
Karena! That's it exactly!!! I know it's God's will, and at least theoretically I know that what I'm doing is really, really important...but it's just so HARD sometimes!
I feel like yelling at you, Liane. You're a mother! You're doing
God's will! You're doing your best. What if you died right now - where would your family be? Do I have to sit on you?
Thank you all so much for participating in this little discussion! This was a sort of mini-dream-come-true for me! The best of blogging experiences or something...So thanks! And I feel blessed and edified and even challenged.
And I love the perspective Brenda's last comment lends to the whole thing...If you have an outside the home career and you die, oh well, your co-workers are sad and then they hire someone else and move on...But if the Mama is gone...Totally different picture.
And that is really such an encouragement to me personally, because so often (and with good reason, believe me!) I feel like I'm doing such a bad job as a mother (mostly related to temper issues). And I know I have a long ways to go before I come close to where I want to be.
But now that I take the time to sort of stop and step back and think about it from the other perspective...I know that in spite of my failings and "flare-ups," my boys need me. Not just Daddy, but Mama too...And as much as I like to joke with Shawn about how simple life would be if I just had a nanny, I know they'd rather have Mama.
Not to mention I think Shawn kind of likes having me around too :)
So anyway, it's good to think about things from that "relationship-oriented" perspective (as opposed to maybe "performance-oriented"?). Thanks Brenda!
And again, thanks all for participating! I love you!
I got to know Liane during her push-me-on-the-swing days. She'd say, "You can't sit on me" and I'd give chase. (Is that how it went?)
I think a common thread to this discussion is that we all want to feel God's acceptance. When we are feeling close to Him, our vision and motivation are so vivid. I've been asking God to help me believe His love for me (if it's true - how silly!). In other words, to feel it, to be convinced of it in any state I'm in (even right after I lose my temper). When I sense His smile, I am simply motivated to please Him, not worrying about whether I'm in His will or not.
I've been praying that God will help you ladies not to get discouraged. I think you all are doing a terrific work; how must God see you?
Post a Comment
<< Home