Quote of the Day
If I had known what thoughts despairing drew you;
(Why do we never try to understand?)
I would have lent a little friendship to you,
And slipped my hand within your hand,
And made your stay more pleasant in the land,
If I had known.
--Mary Carolyn Davies


4 Comments:
Wow, I like that a lot...what is it from?
Well I hate to be so mundane, but it actually came from a little one-a-day calendar I keep in my kitchen, and other than the author's name, I have no idea where it came from or the context, or if that's just a part of a longer poem or what...
Glad you like it though. Me too.
In recent months I've had a similar thought now and then (not so eloquently...). I've thought about "if I'd known" moments, and then thought about applying that to all those people out there about whom I could say "if I'd known" in the future. You know, giving people the benefit of the doubt, and being nice, and that sort of thing. Because actions like that are never actions we'd regret, but the lack of such actions can be regrettable. This wasn't that understandable, I'm afraid, but perhaps you can sift out what I'm trying to say:)
A pre-emptive strike on the "if I'd known"s, as it were.
Well I did have to read it twice, but now I do get it and YES! What a good idea! Good philosophy for living: giving people the benefit of the doubt and being kind now so you don't have to look back with regret later. Is that it? In other words, taking the sentiment expressed here and turning it around so instead of looking back with regret you're looking ahead with a plan. Way to make it personal!
Post a Comment
<< Home