Quote of the Day
"Let thy discontents be thy secret." --Benjamin Franklin
Hmmm...Ooh... ouch! So good. But so hard, especially in the context of family, perhaps?
It reminds me also of that quote I remember reading in Claire's room (it was in a box on your dresser in the room on Chestnut Hill Road Claire, do you remember?), about "pleasing the passing guest," but wounding "those we love the best" or something like that. I never forgot it, maybe because it is so painfully true.
It's usually easy enough to be polite to people outside the home, and at least pull off a smile even if my teeth are mentally clenched, but once I get home, it's all too easy to just let it all hang out. A sort of vulgar expression, but it describes a vulgar spirit I suppose. I could use a good dose of keeping my discontents more secret. Why not give Shawn and the boys a chance to enjoy the charm that's so easy to turn on when I'm standing in the checkout line at the grocery store?
Seems a bit beyond me, but there's plenty of grace for even this, I know.
Hmmm...Ooh... ouch! So good. But so hard, especially in the context of family, perhaps?
It reminds me also of that quote I remember reading in Claire's room (it was in a box on your dresser in the room on Chestnut Hill Road Claire, do you remember?), about "pleasing the passing guest," but wounding "those we love the best" or something like that. I never forgot it, maybe because it is so painfully true.
It's usually easy enough to be polite to people outside the home, and at least pull off a smile even if my teeth are mentally clenched, but once I get home, it's all too easy to just let it all hang out. A sort of vulgar expression, but it describes a vulgar spirit I suppose. I could use a good dose of keeping my discontents more secret. Why not give Shawn and the boys a chance to enjoy the charm that's so easy to turn on when I'm standing in the checkout line at the grocery store?
Seems a bit beyond me, but there's plenty of grace for even this, I know.


3 Comments:
WHAT? You looked in my secret box of treasures!!?? I'm apalled!
Just kidding...:) I'm sure I showed it to you...Wow- I can't believe you remember that!
You'll never guess who I got that poem from....Chaz!
Your insights reminded me of something that I read recently in Joni Earekson Tada's biography. She talked about how the real test of Christianity was at home with one's family. Sometimes that's a real challenge - to be consistent and faithful and loving with those who are the closest.
Wow...tis very true. It sometimes seems it takes just way too much energy to be decent to my family and they can see through my phoniness anyway, right? But what is my energy for, if not for them? Good reminder.
What a challenge! Thank you.
I'm thankful for God's grace. Now to go take advantage of it...
Post a Comment
<< Home